Nutrition plays a key role as athletes’ prepare to reach optimum performance levels and the essential role of proteins is also well known to recreational athletes and active consumers. The global sports nutrition market is expected to reach an estimated value of US$37.7 billion in 20191. Proteins deliver numerous health benefits and are known to help build muscle mass. Specific bioactive proteins such as collagen peptides can bring other health benefits that will prove helpful during sporting activities. These include improving athletic performance, protecting connective tissues, supporting healthy joint maintenance and helping to reduce the risk of injury.
Pure, easily digestible and absorbable, Peptan is particularly well suited for use in formulating optimized protein blends, bringing a unique amino acids composition. It is easy to use and a popular protein for bars, powders, supplements and other sports nutrition products. As it is neutral, it can be easily integrated at high dosage without distorting the taste or odor of finished products.
With a unique amino acid profile, collagen peptides such as Peptan contain high levels of the amino acids glycine, hydroxyproline, proline, alanine and arginine – providing specific nutritional benefits not found in other protein sources. In short, Peptan offers multiple benefits linked to muscles, recovery and connective tissue support.
This makes Peptan a great ingredient for sports nutrition products.
A recent double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical study published in the journal "Amino Acids"2 performed with Newcastle University in the UK demonstrated that the subjects who were supplemented with Peptan experienced
- 20% less muscle soreness at all time points after intense exercise, compared with those who received a placebo dose
- An increase in sports performance linked to accelerated recovery. Performance was maintained at 24h post exercise and increased at 48h post exercise.
A clinical study3 showed that collagen peptides can help increase lean body mass, muscle strength as well as sensory motor control10. A pure, concentrated source of high-quality, natural protein, Peptan collagen peptides enhance and assist in muscle mass regeneration and optimization after exercise.
Muscular function is dependent on the energy produced by the breakdown of a compound called adenosine triphosphate (ATP) in cells. Creatine is a molecule consisting of three amino acids – glycine, arginine and methionine – that can aid muscular contraction during periods of high intensity exercise and also helps to replace depleted ATP levels. Peptan, which consists of 20% glycine and 8% arginine, can help support the synthesis of creatine in the body to improve performance during short bursts of exercise and help athletes to increase their body mass.4
Oral arginine supplements may also have a beneficial effect on athletic performance, even at a low dose.5 A daily recommended dose of 10g of Peptan produces almost 1g of arginine per day. A study showed that by ingesting 1g supplements of arginine and ornithine taken five days per week for five weeks for sports nutrition can increase strength.6 Studies suggest that arginine stimulates the release of growth hormone from the pituitary gland, which may explain performance improvement7.
Peptan can support joint health by regenerating cartilage and reducing joint inflammation, as demonstrated in a recent in-vivo study8. Peptan can increase the production of cartilage matrix, aggrecan and type II collagen9. An in vivo study also demonstrated a significant increase in collagen fibril diameter of the Achilles tendon after collagen peptides supplementation for 8 weeks10.
In a large-scale study of different categories of athletes, those taking a mix of collagen peptides, BCAA and arginine over a period of two years experienced a decreased tendon, ligament, joint and muscle injury rate11.
Collagen peptides may help protect the joint matrix and help to reduce joint discomfort12. A clinical study has shown that Peptan can help reduce joint stiffness13. A smaller, placebo controlled study14 confirmed that consuming a collagen supplement with vitamin C, followed by a burst of intensive exercise, can help build ligaments, tendons and bones, and likely play a beneficial role in injury prevention and tissue repair. Additional clinical evidence for injury prevention are reported on athletes by Baar, 201515, and Ribas-Fernandez, 199816.
Known to be among the most satiating macronutrients, proteins can prevent cravings and help people reach their fitness and weight goals. Peptan collagen peptides can help weight management. An in vivo study conducted in 2006 by the Laboratory of Physiology and Ingestive Behavior, INRA-AgroParis Tech (Paris, France), showed that Peptan is more effective than a standard dairy protein in weight management.
- Thought for Food, 2014, Sports Nutrition Market Will Reach $37.7 Billion in 2019, Globally: Persistence Market Research
- Clifford, T, et al., 2019, The effects of collagen peptides on muscle damage, inflammation and bone turnover following exercise: a randomized, controlled trial. Amino Acids https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-019-02706-5
- Zdzieblik, D., et al., 2015, Collagen peptide supplementation in combination with resistance training improves body composition and increases muscle strength in elderly sarcopenic men: A randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Nutrition, 114(08):1237-1245
- Paddon-Jones, D. et al., 2004, Potential Ergogenic Effects of Arginine and Creatine Supplementation. The Journal of Nutrition, 134(10):28885-28945.
- Campbell, B. et al., 2004, The Ergogenic Potential of Arginine. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 1(2):35-38.
- Elam, R.P., 1989, Effect of arginine and ornithine on strength, lean body mass and urinary hydroxyproline in adult males. Journal of Sports Nutrition, 29:52-56.
- Hembree, W.C. et al., 1969, Arginine infusion and growth-hormone secretion. Lancet, 1(7584):52
- Dar, Q. et al., 2017. Daily oral consumption of hydrolyzed type 1 collagen is chondroprotective and anti-inflammatory in murine posttraumatic osteoarthritis. PLoS ONE 12(4):e0174705
- Rousselot unpublished data, 2011
- Minaguchi, J. et al., 2005, Effects of ingestion of collagen peptide on collagen fibrils and lycosaminoglycans in Achilles tendon. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, 51:169-174
- Wienicke, E., 2011, In: Performance Explosion in Sports – an anti-doping concept. Meyer&Meyer Fachverlag und Buchhandel GmbH, ISBN-10:1841263303
- Clark, K.L. et al., 2008, 24-week study on the use of collagen hydrolysate as a dietary supplement in athletes with activity-related joint pain. Current medical research and opinion, 24(5):1485-1496
- Jiang, J.X. et al., 2014, Collagen peptides improve knee osteoarthritis in elderly women: A 6-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Agro FOOD Industry Hi Tech, 25:19-23
- Shaw, G. et al., 2016, Vitamin C-enriched gelatin supplementation before intermittent activity augments collagen synthesis. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 105(1):136-143
- Baar, K., 2015, Training and nutrition to prevent soft tissue injuries and accelerate return to play. Sports Science Exchange, 28(142):1-6
- Ribas-Fernandez, J.L. et al., 1998, Effects of gelatin hydrolysates in the prevention of athletic injuries. Archivos de Medicina del Deporte, 15(16):277-282
Rousselot makes no representation or warranty, whether expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of the information, nor does it assume any legal liability, whether direct or indirect, for any information. Use of this information shall be at your discretion and risk. Nothing herein relieves you from carrying out your own suitability determinations and tests and from your obligation to comply with all applicable laws and regulations and to observe all third-party rights. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The uses and claims for Rousselot’s products recommended in this website should be adapted to the current local regulatory environment. This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.