Gelatin for Soft Gels
Getting your soft gels just right
Soft capsules, also known as soft gels, are a growth market, but producing them is challenging. Getting the formulation just right, while ensuring production efficiency and effective API delivery, calls for in-depth understanding of the soft gel market and the capsule production process. At Rousselot, we can provide you with the support you need to succeed.
- The soft gel market is expected to grow by 5.5% to 755 million USD between 2017 and 2022 (source: Global Soft Gel Capsules Industry, HJ research, June 2017)
- The main growth drivers:
- Soft gel’s popularity in the nutraceutical market
- Its added value for difficult formulations
- Gelatin is the main ingredient in soft gelatin capsules, due to its unique functional capabilities and full dissolution properties.
Latest News! Launched at Rousselot Innovation Days, March 2018
StabiCaps™, the proven solution for more stable softgels
When manufacturing soft gels, nutra and pharmaceutical manufacturers sometimes experience shell cross-linking leading to stabilitiy issues. Developed by Rousselot, StabiCaps™ enables the production of capsules with reduced cross-linking. The new product consists of a patented range of specific gelatins offering shell stability and API release levels superior to those of standard gelatins.
With StabiCaps, you can be confident of having an optimal gelatin type for your soft gel product.
More information, please click here.
Producing the perfect soft gel
Due to its unique functional capabilities and full compliance with the human body, gelatin is the main ingredient in soft gelatin capsules, commonly known as soft gels. Soft gel manufacturers constantly work on new formulations to accomodate specific fills, develop new types of soft gels such as delayed release or chewable capsules, or to reduce costs. However, creating a soft gel delivery system that fulfills the latedst specifications and end-use requirements is a complex and highly challenging process.
Download our whitepaper – This whitepaper outlines the key considerations in ensuring that gelatin is enhanced for soft gel formulation, efficient gel production and optimal API delivery. It also covers the potential challenges that Contract Development and Manufacturing Organizations (CDMO) may face if the right gelatin is not selected. A discussion of our research is also included, with a special emphasis on the impact of factors such as ingredient compatibility, molecular weight and gelatin bloom on the quality and stability of soft gel capsules.
Advantages of capsules over other delivery forms
- A simpler manufacturing process with fewer production steps
- The possibility to encapsulate most types of, semisolid, and liquid fill formulations
- Unique color and shape configurations for enhancing product identity
- Easy to swallow and neutral in odor and flavor, improving patient compliance
- Good delivery form
A safe and natural excipient, Rousselot Gelatin offers unlimited innovation options in the soft capsules market – whether in chewable capsules or nutraceuticals. With our range of pharmaceutical gelatins for soft capsules, you can adjust encapsulation conditions to the encapsulated formula and active compounds.
And contact us to discuss your needs and ideas. We're eager to reach further together.